Maybe you are young, or you left the closet at a later age and you are brand new to the Lesbian Community. Perhaps you’re a loved one of a lesbian as well as an ally. Like any group of individuals, the lesbian community has a shared set of phrases they utilize to describe their identities, roles, behaviors, and many more. Lesbians, like other individuals are within their group a varied and diverse group. When first learning about lesbian subculture, particularly if you’re a lesbian, the volume of info to learn may be overwhelming. This’s a brief summary of phrases that’re particular to the lesbian community. There are many more terms relating to lesbians also the lesbian, bisexual, gay, and transgender (LGBT) group as a whole.
Before determining words relating to lesbians, the phrase lesbian should be determined. A lesbian is a homosexual girl, a lady that loves and is sexually attracted to females. A lesbian is not a female who dates women until the right guy comes along, or even a girl who is sexually attracted to ladies if there aren’t any men around.
Those 2 examples of ladies will fall under the meaning of bisexual, however, they would not describe each bisexuals by any means.
One) Baby Dyke A lesbian new to lesbianism, who’s often immature.
Two) Butch a lesbian that has masculine appearance and manners who often identifies with stereotypically masculine pursuits.
3) Drag King- A female dresses like a man frequently in a performance. While drag kings might be straight, drag shows with drag kings as well as queens (males dressed as ladies) are common in the lesbian and gay community.
4) Dyke- Another word for lesbian. Occasionally a derogative term. But in recent times lesbians have reclaimed this term and use it as an expression of power and strength. This is a term only people in the in group (LGBT community) should make use of.
5) Femme A lesbian who has feminine look and manners as well as who identifies with stereotypical womanly activities.
6) Gold Star or Star Lesbian A lesbian who has never been with a male. This is a rarity since many lesbians were with males in the past mainly because they didn’t know they were lesbian or they were hesitant to come out due to a homophobic society.
7) Lip Stick Lesbian- A lipstick lesbian is similar to a femme lesbian but she’s still more girly. She may wear dresses and make up. Some people point out that lip stick lesbians are just attracted to different lipstick lesbians, while other sources of energy do not support that.
Eight) MTF- is a male that has transitioned into a woman. Also called a trans lady, or simply a girl. While a lot transgender males who transition into girls are not lesbians most are. There has been heated debate regarding whether these individuals ought to be incorporated in the lesbian community.
Nine) Sapphic Of or related to the Poet Sappho. In the 7th Century B.C.E. Sappho was a lyrical Poet from the Island of Lesbos. Her poems had themes of female homosexuality. The word lesbian derives from the word Lesbos.
10) Soft Butch A gentle butch such as a butch has some masculine characteristics particularly in dressing and way, but could be a little bit more androgynous or even even girly on the inside. Chap stick lesbian is an additional term for a soft butch lesbian.